It’s another Fabulous Friday at Becoming You!
Home Remedies for Puffy Eyes: Natural Ways to Reduce Swollen Bags Under Your Eyes
Many people suffer from under eye puffiness, bags or dark circles under their eyes. There are many treatments to help you with this problem and like all things that concern your beauty there is a range from natural remedies all the way up to doctor specified treatments.
What causes your puffy eyes?
There are several causes for under eye bags, puffiness, or dark circles. Some of these are: heredity, water retention, toxin build up, a change in weather, hormones, allergic reactions, as well as health issues or complications from medications.
Having allergies may cause you to wake with puffy eyes from time to time. Sleeping with your head elevated slightly can sometimes help alleviate this by helping the sinus cavities to drain. Preventing the allergic reaction by avoiding your known allergens will help you to avoid an occurrence of puffy eyes. You may also want to take an over the counter medicine like Benadryl to help avoid the allergens that cause your reaction.
How can you prevent puffy eyes?
One of the steps you can do to prevent your under eye puffiness, bags, and dark circles is to have a healthy well balanced diet and stay well hydrated. Drinking plenty of water will help your body flush itself of any toxins as well as reduce the chance of water retention. Limiting your caffeine intake can also help reduce water retention. Sodium is also a big culprit in helping the body retain excess water and to reduce the bags under your eyes you may want to drastically reduce the salt in your diet.
Natural Cures & Treatments at Home
There are many natural remedies that have been used over the years to help aid in the reduction of puffy eyes. Check out the following list below for things you have at home that will reduce eye puffiness.
- Cool cucumber slices, one for each eye, applied for about 5 minutes.
- Lavender as a soothing topical treatment applied to the eye area or in a floral water mixture can reduce swelling.
- Chamomile, green tea or other cooled tea bags placed on they eyes for about 5 min
- If you use eye cream in the morning, try keeping it in the refridgerator for a cooling am eye treatment.
- Sleeping on a slight incline with an extra pillow to reduce morning under eye puffiness (also helps relieve heartburn too).
- Keep two clean spoons in the refrigerator to decrease eye swelling. In a pinch, two spoons can be placed in a glass of ice water to chill them on demand.
Choose the treatment best suited and based on what you have on hand to help get rid of your puffy eyes. Once you have completed that treatment you can apply makeup to help hide any remaining puffiness.
Over the counter quick fixes
When turning to over the counter treatments you will notice that many of them utilize natural ingredients as well. Many people notice that gel ointments work better and more quickly then creams, but keep in mind that everyone is different and your results may vary. Be sure to buy products that clearly state they are for puffy eyes. If you have allergies, a daily allergy pill with the active ingredient of Loratadine can work to reduce eye puffiness as well.
Possible Medical Causes of Puffy Eyes
There are also many serious health concerns that can cause puffiness or dark circles under or around the eyes. A few examples of these conditions are a thyroid condition, and diabetes. If you have chronic puffiness, dark circles, or bags under your eyes you should consult a physician to determine if the bags are a symptom of a more serious health concern.
“When all else fails, HUG THE DOG!”
FABULOUS SALON News:
- Tammie now has “Loyalty Cards” for you. Next time you are in, ask for one. Once the card is punched for 4 visits, you will get something free on your 5th visit.
- If you are a current client of Tammie’s and refer a new client to her, than you AND your referral will receive $5.00 off your next visit!
- Tammie is expanding Becoming You Salon. She is currently looking for 2 hair stylists and a nail tech. If you know someone that is looking, please let them know.
FABULOUS FRIDAY News:
- If you would like to follow this blog but don’t use Facebook (where it is shared to all our friends on Facebook), you can now sign up to have this Fabulous Friday blog delivered right to your email. Just go to www.BecomingYou.me and enter your email address where it says “Follow this blog.” Don’t worry… your email address is safe with us!
- We are now the proud owner of only ONE Becoming You FaceBook page: https://www.facebook.com/#!/BecomingYouWithTammie. Please take a moment to look and “LIKE” us if you haven’t yet.
- If you’ve missed any of our Fabulous Friday blogs, you can see them all here.
FABULOUS RECIPES to try:
1 large eggplant, sliced ¾–1″ thick
Brush eggplant slices with oil on both sides, and sprinkle with garlic salt. Place on grill or in broiler and cook for 3–4 minutes, until tender but not too soft.
Carefully spread a thin layer of pizza sauce on each slice, then sprinkle with Italian seasonings and mozzarella cheese. Place any additional pizza toppings on top of the cheese.
Return eggplant pizzas to the grill or broiler and heat for another 2–3 minutes, until cheese melts.
To enhance the flavor or your eggplants, remove a bit of their bitterness and moisture before grilling. Place an eggplant slice on a paper towel and salt it liberally. Put another paper towel over it and top with another slice of eggplant. Salt this slice and repeat the process until all of the slices have been salted and stacked between paper towels. Let this eggplant tower sit for about 30 minutes, then take out the slices and wipe them off. Now they’re ready for cooking!!!
FABULOUS Websites to see:
We care about the WHOLE you, so here is…
Our little corner of inspiration:
Please take a minute to comment on our Fabulous Friday post… we would love to hear from you! Check out our website at www.BecomingYou.me. We are adding new info and photos every week.
Have a great weekend and we’ll talk next Friday!