It’s the first Fabulous Friday of 2013!
Happy New Year!
For the next few weeks we are going to be talking about…
Tips for Better Work-Life Balance
Beat burnout by discovering ways to devote more time to the activities and people that matter most to you.
By Jen Uscher WebMD Feature Reviewed by Louise Chang, MD
If you’re feeling overworked and finding it more challenging than ever to juggle the demands of your job and the rest of your life, you’re not alone.
“A lot of people are having a more difficult time finding balance in their lives because there have been cutbacks or layoffs where they work. They’re afraid it may happen to them, so they’re putting in more hours,” says psychologist Robert Brooks, PhD, co-author of The Power of Resilience: Achieving Balance, Confidence, and Personal Strength in Your Life
“But even if you don’t have much control over the hours you have to work, you can ask yourself: In what other ways am I bringing greater enjoyment into my life?” Brooks says. “Focus your time and attention on things you can control.”
Here is the first of five ways to bring a little more balance to your daily routine:
1. Build downtime into your schedule.
When you plan your week, make it a point to schedule time with your family and friends and activities that help you recharge.
If a date night with your spouse or a softball game with friends is on your calendar, you’ll have something to look forward to and an extra incentive to manage your time well so you don’t have to cancel.
“It helps to be proactive about scheduling,” says Laura Stack, a productivity expert in Denver and author of SuperCompetent: The Six Keys to Perform at Your Productive Best. “When I go out with my girlfriends, we all whip out our cell phones and put another girls’ night out on the calendar for one month later,” she says.
Stack also plans an activity with her family — like going to a movie or the park — every Sunday afternoon. “We do this because if there’s nothing on the schedule, time tends to get frittered away and the weekend may end without us spending quality time together,” she says.
Michael Neithardt, an actor and television commercial producer in New York City, wakes up three hours before he has to leave for work so he can go for a run and spend some time with his wife and baby.
“A lot of my friends tend to wake up, shower, and go straight to work. And they often complain about having no time to do anything,” he tells WebMD in an e-mail. “I find that if I can get those three hours in the morning, I have a more productive and peaceful workday. I can sure tell the difference when I don’t.”
Next week we will have tip #2 for Better Work-Life Balance.
- Tammie now has “Loyalty Cards” for you. Next time you are in, ask for one. Once the card is punched for 4 visits, you will get something free on your 5th visit.
- Tammie is expanding Becoming You Salon. She is currently looking for 2 hair stylists and a nail tech. If you know someone that is looking, please let them know.
- If you are a current client of Tammie’s and refer a new client to her, than you AND your referral will receive $5.00 off your next visit!
FABULOUS FRIDAY News:
- If you would like to follow this blog but don’t use Facebook (where it is shared to all our friends on Facebook), you can now sign up to have this Fabulous Friday blog delivered right to your email. Just go to www.becomingyou.me and enter your email address where it says “Follow this blog”. Don’t worry… your email address is safe with us!
- If you’ve missed any of our Fabulous Friday blogs, you can see them all here.
FABULOUS Websites to check out:
We like to think that here at Becoming You we are a community of friends, not just customers and clients, and we really do want to know what you think! There is a place on every page of the website (see adress below) and at the end of each blog to leave your comments, ideas and anything else that you would like us to know. Do you have an idea for an upcoming series on Fabulous Fridays, an inspiration we can share or other information you would like to see on our website? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We care about the WHOLE you, so here is…
Our little corner of inspiration:
Please take a minute to comment on our Fabulous Friday post… we would love to hear from you! Check out our website at www.BecomingYou.me. We are adding new info and photos every week.
Have a great weekend and we’ll talk next Friday!